Members of the Club in 1955
"To preserve what is good, To grow what is good, To display what is good.”
The Hillsborough Garden Club is the oldest surviving garden club in North Carolina. The Club was formed in 1925, when twelve ladies of Hillsborough gathered in an old school building to envision the beautification of the town's streets and gardens. They began by cleaning lots in Hillsborough's business district and planting Crepe Myrtles along the streets downtown.
The Hillsborough Garden Club has evolved from its original goal to create a more beautiful town. Meetings of the Hillsborough Garden Club now feature cutting edge speakers or civic programs related to the care of plants, with an emphasis on the creation of pollinating gardens. The Club offers an integrated supportive network for Master Horticulturists, as well as fledgling gardeners.
The Hillsborough Garden Club supports approximately 60 members, and is a not for profit, an affiliate of The Garden Club of North Carolina, Inc., which is a federated garden club and 501 (c) 3 volunteer organization. The Club has no restrictions based upon race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, or national origin.
CLUB FLOWER - Crepe Myrtle